If the idea of spending four long years in college while piling up a mountain of student debt sounds like a horrible path to a career, consider career training that can be completed in just one year. At Porter and Chester Institute in Massachusetts and Connecticut, you can choose from several different programs and receive hands-on training from experts in their fields. Some of these career-focused training programs also provide you the opportunity for real world experience through an externship. You’ll get to try out your profession before you become an employee. These short-term programs mean you could learn and then earn while your friends studying liberal arts at four-year institutions are still in school.
Here are some careers you can train for in as little as one year:
If you are passionate about cars, an Automotive Technology program will prepare you to become a skilled technician in today’s vehicle service industry. You will learn to diagnose and repair vehicles using computer-based diagnostic equipment to work in auto dealerships or independent repair centers.
- A CADD Technology program will teach you the skills you need to turn concepts from engineers and architects into usable computer-generated drawings and designs. Using the latest software from AutoCAD, Revit and SolidWorks, you will learn how to bring designs for buildings and bridges to reality, as well as 3D manufactured products.
- A Computer and Network Technology program will thoroughly prepare you to work on computers and their networks in a variety of settings. You’ll learn to install, configure and maintain computer systems that are essential for today’s businesses so you can become an important member of an IT team.
In a Cosmetology program, you’ll learn to provide haircutting, hairstyling, and a range of other beauty services to enhance your clients’ appearance. With hands-on training, you’ll become proficient in women’s and men’s haircutting techniques as well as the basics of skin care, makeup, and nail care.
- Dental Assisting: If you like to learn by doing, you will appreciate the hands-on training to become a Dental Assistant in as little as nine months. You’ll learn to record patient histories, take x-rays, and help the dentist with dental exams, tooth fillings, root canals, oral surgery, orthodontics, and so much more.
- Medical Assisting: Learn to become a Medical Assistant so you can work in hospitals, nursing homes, hospices and doctors’ offices. You will be an important part of a healthcare team by helping doctors and their staff provide the best possible care to their patients.
- Practical Nursing: If you think the best part of any job is helping people, consider becoming a Licensed Practical Nurse. LPNs work directly with patients to administer medications, change dressings, assist with personal grooming, and monitor overall patient health in a variety of healthcare settings.
- An Electronics Systems Technician program will thoroughly prepare you to become a skilled worker in today’s low voltage and electronics industries. You’ll learn all about voice, data and fiber optic networks; fire, CCTV and intrusion alarm technology; telecommunications; home entertainment systems; live sound reinforcement; and much more.
- If you enjoy working with your hands, becoming a Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning and Refrigeration (HVACR) technician might be the right career path for you. As an HVACR Technician, you could work across a range of industries or in private residences to keep heating and cooling systems up and running.
- An Industrial, Commercial and Residential Electrician program will help you take the first steps toward becoming a licensed electrician. You’ll learn all about the fundamentals of electricity and electrical codes and how to install, repair, and maintain electrical systems in residential and commercial buildings.
- A program to become a plumber will teach you how to install, maintain, and repair plumbing systems in existing buildings as well as new construction. Out of the classroom, you’ll get to work on real plumbing systems with actual industry equipment.
At Porter and Chester Institute in Connecticut and Massachusetts, you can complete many of our career training programs in as little as one year—some in even less time! Want to find out more? Fill out the form or give us a call at 800-870-6789.