Do you enjoy working on cars or trucks? There is nothing more rewarding than working in an industry which you are passionate about. Starting a career as an Automotive Technician can happen in as little as 12 months by enrolling in an Automotive Technology Program at an accredited school like Porter and Chester Institute. Not only will you love what you do every day, but there’s money to be made as an automotive technician! There are over 245 million cars on the road today that all need to be serviced. The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts jobs in automotive repair will grow over 19% over the next decade and that men and women with formal training and industry certifications will have the best job opportunities. Choosing a good automotive technology school is the key to having a successful career in the automotive industry. Here’s a guide of important things to look for as you research your automotive school options:
- New Technology - As the technology in cars and trucks becomes more and more advanced, it’s important for automotive technicians to continue to educate themselves. Nowadays, cars are being powered using sophisticated computer systems. A good automotive school will teach you how to use computer diagnostic software so you’ll be able to diagnose and service these newer vehicles.
- Time in the Shop – Skilled automotive technicians can combine the new and the old when it comes to servicing cars. They don’t just need to know the latest technology; they also need to know how to use a range of tools and equipment. A good automotive school will give its students plenty of time working under the hood inside a fully-equipped auto shop.
- Exam Prep – When you’ve successfully completed your automotive technology program, you should be prepared with the knowledge you’ll need to take the Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) exams. Your instructors should prepare you for the topics and questions which will be on the exams.
- Professional Instructors – Your automotive school instructors should be professional Automotive Technicians who are ASE-certified with several years of experience diagnosing and repairing vehicles under their belt. A great automotive instructor will go the extra mile to help you master the material and attain your career goals.
- Career Services Assistance – Some automotive schools have only one thing in mind – that’s getting you to complete the program. A good automotive school has a more long term vision when it comes to education. They’ll help update your resume and give you valuable advice to aid you in your job search. They won’t be happy until you’ve successfully landed a new job as an automotive technician!
The automotive technology program at Porter and Chester Institute uses advanced computer technology and hands-on repairs in the school’s shop to prepare students to get out in the field and take the Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) exam. Porter and Chester Institute has nine convenient locations throughout Connecticut and Massachusetts and has flexible morning, afternoon and evening classes. Fill out this form to learn more about how Porter and Chester Institute can prepare you for a career as an automotive technician!