Medical assistants work alongside physicians helping them to perform their jobs and provide quality patient care. They have a lot of direct patient contact, so they must possess certain traits to do their jobs well. Medical assistants need to know the fundamentals of their profession, but also all about the ethics and principles of medical assisting.
Ethical Standards for Medical Assistants
The American Association of Medical Assistants (AAMA) certifies medical assistants and sets ethical standards for its members. It requires medical assistants to take a pledge of professionalism that includes the following tenets:
- Render service with full respect for the dignity of humanity
- Respect patient confidentiality
- Uphold the honor and high principles of the medical assisting profession
- Seek to continually improve knowledge and skills for the benefit of patients and colleagues
- Participate in service activities that help improve the health and well-being of the community
AAMA Medical Assisting Creed
The AAMA also sets forth statements of belief for the profession called the Medical Assisting Creed:
- I believe in the principles and purposes of the profession of medical assisting.
- I endeavor to be more effective.
- I aspire to render greater service.
- I protect the confidence entrusted to me.
- I am dedicated to the care and well-being of all people.
- I am loyal to my employer.
- I am true to the ethics of my profession.
- I am strengthened by compassion, courage and faith.
Have you always dreamed of being a part of a profession that does important work while adhering to high ethical and moral standards? Medical assistants serve as vital members of the modern healthcare team. They help patients, doctors and the medical staff, all the while helping themselves to a respected career that is in high demand. According the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, medical assistants will see much faster than average job growth through 2022.
Do you have what it takes to make a difference as a medical assistant? You could train to become a medical assistant at Porter and Chester Institute in as little as nine months! Check out all our career training programs in Connecticut and Massachusetts.