One of the biggest accomplishments for any cosmetologist is the day you receive your license. It means that you’re officially allowed to use your skills on paying clients—and to start your career in cosmetology. But to earn your license, you must first take the state exam to show that you have the knowledge and skills to practice your craft on the general public. What is the Connecticut cosmetology licensing exam like? Find out what you need to know, how to prepare, and what you can expect on exam day.
What’s on the Cosmetology Licensing Exam in CT?
The exam consists of 100 questions in the categories of general concepts, anatomy, physical and chemical services, and hairstyling and shaping. Here’s a breakdown of the specific topics that you’ll be tested on:
- General Concepts—You can expect 15 questions on the general concepts of cosmetology including salon management and ethics, infection control, EPA and OSHA guidelines, and client protection.
- Applied Anatomy—This category will test your knowledge of the hair, scalp, and nails. You can expect 10 questions on these topics.
- Physical Services—You’ll answer 20 questions on shampoos and rinses, manicures and pedicures, facials, and more. You’ll need to know the procedures as well as the materials used and the precautions you’ll need to take.
- Chemical Services—With 30 questions, this is the biggest category on the exam. You’ll be quizzed on the procedures, materials, and precautions of chemical relaxing and weaving as well as hair coloring and lightening.
- Hair Styling and Shaping—Another 25 questions will test your knowledge of wigs, extensions, and haircuts, and styles.
Tips for Success on Your CT Cosmetology Licensing Exam
You’ll need to score 70% or above on the test to pass and get your license. If you’re worried about how to earn that score, here are some tips to help you succeed:
- Study, Study, Study—Set aside a couple of hours every day to study the topics above. Create flashcards to help you get the concepts down. You might even want to ask your family and friends to quiz you.
- Learn the Hard Concepts First—Don’t leave the most difficult concepts for last. Learn them first so you don’t procrastinate or waste time on the topics you already know.
- Don’t Sweat Your Score—Don’t focus on a number. Focus on what you know. Make sure you understand every topic and just do your best. You do have the option to retake the test if you need to.
What to Expect on Cosmetology Exam Day
In the State of Connecticut, Prometric oversees the cosmetology exam. When you’re ready to sit for the exam, you can schedule your test date and submit your application on the Prometric website. Exams are still conducted in person, but you may be able to schedule an online exam instead.
When it comes to exam day, it’s normal to feel nervous. But don’t let the stress and pressure get to you. You’ve got this! Here are some tips to help get through the exam:
- Get Plenty of Rest—Go to bed early the night before so you can get plenty of sleep ahead of the test. A sleepy brain can lead to errors and mistakes.
- Arrive Early—You’ll need to give yourself plenty of time to park your car, check-in, and get settled.
- Bring Your ID—Don’t forget that you’ll need to bring your government-issued ID as well as your admission letter from Prometric. Note that you won’t be able to bring your cell phone, purse, or backpack into the testing area, so you’ll need to lock it in your car before you check-in.
Before you can sit for the exam, you’ll need to know all the ins and outs of the field. At Porter and Chester Institute, we offer training in Cosmetology that will prepare you for a career in the field in as few as 12 months. Fill out the form to learn more.